Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tart trial

I tried making this tart about 1.5 months ago. I never learn making pastry. I just give a try using online recipe from Yen.

Let's me share the mistakes that I did. Based on the recipe, I have to baked the pastry dough in the tart shell until half cooked. So, I just estimate the baking time for about 10 min only. Then, I poured the cream cheese filling in the baked tart shell and baked for another 10 minutes. I found that the filling is already baked, but the pastry dough didn't baked very well. I have to add more baking time to ensure the dough is cooked enough. Unfortunately, the cream cheese filling was cracked, and I guess because of over baked. Next time, I have to bake the pastry dough more longer, maybe 15-20 min.

Here we go the recipe:

The pastry dough:
125 gm butter
63 gm icing sugar
250gm plain flour
1 tablespoon water
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Steps:
1. Sift flour and icing sugar in a mixing bowl
2. Rub butter in the flour mixture
3. Add egg yolk, vanilla & water
4. Shape dough into ball & refrigerate before using
5. Roll out and shape in to the tart shells

The cream cheese filling:
250 gm cream cheese
20gm butter
60gm fine granulated sugar
1 egg
Steps:
1. Beat cheese, sugar and butter until fluffy
2. Add egg and beat until well mix
3. Pour cream cheese filling in the baked tart shell
4. Bake for 10-15 min @ 170 deg.



For variety:
You may add melted choc, blueberry filling or strawberry filling on top of the filling. Use knive to make marble effect.

No comments: